SomnoMed Success Stories
More than 200,000 patients around the world have treated their mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and/or sleep bruxism with SomnoDent therapy. Worn during sleep, the SomnoDent line of oral appliances are customized to offer superior comfort and quality to each individual patient. In fact, 91% of patients reported improvement in sleep quality while wearing their SomnoDent device.
“The first night I wore the device my wife said I didn’t snore. This continued for the next week and then I noticed I was dreaming. I couldn’t remember dreaming. It has been incredible to wake up in the morning and remember my dreams! After a month of wearing my SomnoDent oral appliance, I had my follow-up sleep study. My AHI number was 1. I felt incredible.” – Read Steven’s Story here »
“I find it much more comfortable than CPAP and have been sleeping well through the night. I find after my own personal experience with CPAP and an oral appliance now I am more likely to refer patients for an oral appliance.”
– Adam Lenet, MD, Chief, Sleep Medicine Richard L. Roudebush-VA Medical Center, Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine-Indiana University
“Before I found my sleep dentist I was sleeping with my CPAP device. This posed several problems for me. Most are the obvious: wearing the CPAP mask, trying to sleep with a hose attached to your face, having to travel with it, and then my allergy issues became more severe. Maintenance is a pain as well. [My SomnoDent] device has allowed me to enjoy life a bit more without the hassle of a CPAP. And, there is the added benefit of not having to make sure I have a source of power available. Which means, I can go camping again! I would recommend the SomnoDent device to anyone with obstructive sleep apnea. It is life changing.”
– Derek, “The Happy Camper”/SomnoDent Patient
The Leading CPAP Alternative: Unmasking Sleep Apnea Treatment
Your snoring may be a favorite family joke — but it should also be a figurative wake-up call.
Habitual, loud snoring is a key symptom of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a disease that affects 12-18 million Americans and increases the risk of health problems including heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, erectile dysfunction and depression.
You’ve likely heard of the “gold standard” for sleep apnea treatment, a machine with a running motor, tubing and a face mask called a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine. Luckily, for many sleep apnea sufferers, there is a CPAP alternative that lies far from the mask in an effective treatment called Continuous Open Airway Therapy (COAT™).
COAT uses a “mouth-guard” like device, called a SomnoDent oral device. SomnoDent is a custom-made oral appliance for the treatment of mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). SomnoDent is worn during sleep to provide Continuous Open Airway Therapy (COAT) by moving the lower jaw slightly forward. This movement tightens the soft tissue and muscles of the upper airway, which prevents obstructive apneas while you sleep.
Pioneered by dentists, a growing mass of research is proving that oral appliances are an effective CPAP alternative in treating many people with sleep apnea, and that patients are more likely to use oral devices to get a good night’s rest.
What does COAT offer the sleepless snorer?
- Comfort — Sleeping with a CPAP machine can prove difficult. According to the American Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine (AADSM), up to 50 percent of sleep apnea patients do not comply with or tolerate CPAP. In fact, 90% of SomnoDent patients report regular use of their device. Oral appliance therapy can help sleep apnea patients ditch the mask. Patients like SomnoDent oral devices because they are comfortable and easy to wear. Plus, they are a more discreet treatment for those who want to change positions during sleep or snuggle their bed partner.
- Quiet – On average, the bed partner of a snorer loses at least an hour of sleep per night, according to a study published by Mayo Clinic Proceedings. A CPAP machine may silence the snoring, but its constantly running motor might not help the bed partner sleep more soundly. Continuous Open Airway Therapy (COAT™) is a quieter option that can minimize the symptoms of sleep apnea, such as loud snoring, without making a peep of its own.
- Low-maintenance — A SomnoDent oral device is easy to care for and easy to travel with. SomnoDent oral devices only need to be cleaned with a SomTab, and all can fit discretely into a custom SomnoMed container and stowed away in your luggage. No hassles through security or with electric outlets.
- Effective Treatment — Continuous Open Airway Therapy (COAT™) works and leaves patients healthier, rejuvenated and well rested. SomnoDent oral devices are made with high quality materials, manufactured under ISO 13645 standards, and FDA 510(k) cleared. And, for those with a sleep apnea diagnosis, appliances are often covered by medical insurance plans – including Medicare.
- Evidence-based — There are more than 15 clinical publications reporting efficacy, compliance and outcomes data for oral appliances (OA) compared to CPAP and most trials compared CPAP and OA for their ability to reduce AHI.
If you’ve been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea by a board-certified sleep physician and CPAP is not working for you, a custom-fitted oral appliance can be your key to better sleep and better health. If you are interested in finding a SomnoMed preferred dentist in your area, contact us. Ask your physician or dentist for more information on treating your snoring or mild to moderate sleep apnea with SomnoDent devices.